N Scale Private Owner Wagon Set

Code: 377-075K6

N Scale Private Owner Wagon Set

Availability: Out of stock

£16.50
N Scale Private Owner Wagon Set

Click Image to Zoom

Details

Burnley Corporation, Gas Department, No. 17 - Prior to the nationalisation of the gas industry in 1949, gas was supplied by private or local authority companies, with over 1000 different companies in operation prior to 1949. Gas in Burnley was supplied by a private company from 1823 but was taken over by the local authority in 1854. Before natural gas became common place in 1966, gas was obtained by distilling coal, with the by product 'coke' being sold for burning as a fossil fuel to households and industry as an alternative to raw coal. Our wagon portrays an example that was supplied to the company in 1933 and would have been used to transport the coal from the Lancashire and Yorkshire collieries to the Corporation's works in Oswald Street, Burnley. Earl of Rosslyn's Collieries, Dysart, No. 4550 - Dysart, located on the Fife coast has seen coal mining since the 18th Century. With operations beginning at the Lady Blanche Pit, two further pits, the Frances Pit and the Randolph Pit, were sunk in the 19th century. Initially coal was transported by rail to the local harbour at Dysart for onward shipping, however in the 1920s the harbour was forced to expand to serve larger ships so shipments were transferred to Methil Docks instead. Despite re-opening in 1929, Dysart harbour was not to see coal traffic again due to the closure of the Lady Blanche Pit in the same year, resulting in financial difficulties for the authorities who had invested heavily in the reconstruction of the harbour. The Earl of Rosslyn's Collieries was taken over by the Fife Coal Company in 1923 and they continued to operate Randolph Pit until 1968, and Frances Pit until 1985 which closed following an extensive fire a year earlier. Crynant Colliery Company Limited, Crynant near Neath, No. 330 - The Crynant Colliery was situated between the stations of Crynant and Seven Sisters on the Neath & Brecon Railway to the North of Neath, South Wales. Established in the 1800s, the company encountered financial difficulties in the 1920s. An attempt to boost business in 1916 with the sinking of a new mountain colliery did little to improve the company's prospects, however they continued to operate independently until 1929, when operations were handed over to the larger Gueret, Llewellyn and Merrett group. The Crynant colliery finally closed in 1945. Our wagon was part of a fleet of sixty wagons operated by the company, and was delivered along with nineteen other wagons in 1902 from the Gloucester Carriage & Wagon Company.

Technical Specification

  • Size/Scale:  N Scale
  • Released:  Winter 2010
  • Number Produced:  504
  • Era:  3
  • DCC Pin Value:  No
  • DCC Status:  No
  • Paint Finish:  Pristine
  • Length:  41mm per wagon
  • Features:  Three seven plank end door wagons