OO Scale Private Owner Wagon Set

Code: 37-075K7

OO Scale Private Owner Wagon Set

Availability: Out of stock

£21.50
OO Scale Private Owner Wagon Set

Click Image to Zoom

Details

Cambrian Mercantile Collieries, Ystalyfera No.277 - The Cambrian Mercantile Collieries Syndicate Ltd operated a number of collieries in Wales, one of which was the Varteg Pit at Ystalyfera. The mine was served by the Cambrian's sidings at Ytsradgynlais which were connected to the Neath & Brecon Railway. The company had more than 300 wagons and our wagon represents No.277 which was one of a batch of 100 wagons built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Dutton Massey & Co Ltd of Liverpool & Birkenhead, No.315 - The company, owned by the Massey family, began in Liverpool in the 1870s as a forwarding agent for a wide range of products and also supplied raw materials including metal and coal to local companies. They went on to own two Welsh collieries, prior to which they had been agents for a number of collieries in both England and Wales. They were the suppliers of coal to the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board, who used it for fuelling visiting ships and on its internal railway network. Coal was also exported to Ireland. The company operated in London from 1921 until 1933 and continued as fuel suppliers until closure of the Liverpool business in 1967. Wemyss Coal Company, No.2866 - Both the Wemyss family and coal mining in the Fife area can be traced back to the 13th Century. Land owned by the Wemyss family was surrounded by various coal mines and King Charles II granted permission to the Wemyss family in the 17th century for the construction of a harbour at Methil for the transportation of coal by sea. In 1881 the Wemyss & Buckhaven railway, which was financially backed by the Wemyss family opened providing a rail link to the harbour at Methil. In 1889 the line was sold to the North British Railway and at the same time construction began on a new line from the various mines to the port of Methil which became known as the Wemyss private railway, opening in January 1901. The line remained independent until it's closure in 1970. Our wagon, No.2866 was built by Hurst Neilson in 1934 and would have been used not only on the line to the docks, but also on the national network which was accessed at Thornton Junction.

Technical Specification

  • Size/Scale:  No
  • Released:  Winter 2011
  • Number Produced:  504 Certificated pieces
  • Era:  3
  • DCC Pin Value:  No
  • DCC Status:  N/A
  • Paint Finish:  Pristine
  • Length:  83mm per wagon
  • Features:  7 Plank end door wagons