Warley 50th Anniversary Triple Wagon Pack

Code: 38-990Z

OO Scale Warley Triple Wagon Pack

Availability: In stock

£55.00
Warley 50th Anniversary Triple Wagon Pack

Click Image to Zoom

Details

Each year the Warley Model Railway Club organise the UK’s largest model railway event, the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition, which takes place at the National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham. The 2017 event was held in November and this was the 50th exhibition to be staged by the Warley Model Railway Club and its 25th at the National Exhibition Centre. To celebrate these milestones, the Warley Club commissioned a triple pack of Bachmann Branchline OO scale wagons, each of which having a local connection and running numbers signifying these anniversaries. As sponsors of the Warley show, the Bachmann Collectors Club are pleased to announce that we have secured a limited number of these wagon packs to offer to Club members and these are available to purchase now. The three wagons featured in the pack are:

7 Plank Wagon ‘Rapps & Co.’ No. 25

George T. Rapps was one of many coal merchants based at the former L&NWR coal depot at Soho Pool on the edge of inner city Birmingham. Records show that in 1901 he was working as a coal merchant’s manager but by 1908 he had become a coal merchant in his own right. During the 1920s and 1930s no less than 27 coal merchants were based at Soho Pool which had space for more than 300 wagons in its sidings. Rapps ordered several wagons from the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. and each carried this lead coloured livery, with white lettering shaded black and black ironwork.

14T Tank Wagon ‘Midland Tar Distillers Ltd’ No. 50

The Midland Tar Distillers Ltd. was formed in 1923 as an amalgamation of several independent concerns already operating in the West Midlands and further afield. When the company became a public company in 1929 they were distilling at 11 sites throughout the Midlands and during the 1930s operations were extended further afield to Welshpool, Birkenhead and Peterborough. Following World War Two the sites were rationalised and distilling mainly took place at Oldbury, where the head offices were located, and Nechells (Birmingham). A new refinery at Four Ashes near Wolverhampton was opened in the 1950s, following the Nationalisation of the coal and gas industries, and as a result the company became the UK’s largest tar distiller and biggest producer of cresols, xylenols and cresylic acids. The company merged with Yorkshire Tar Corporation Ltd in 1967 to form the Midland-Yorkshire Tar Distillers Group which was brought by Croda in 1975.

Midland 20T Brake Van in LMS livery No. 2550

The Midland 20T Brake Van was to be found attached to the rear of goods trains across the Midland Railway and later the London Midland and Scottish Railway’s routes following Grouping in 1923. Featuring an enclosed cabin in which the guard would travel, this brake van was also fitted with duckets allowing the guard to view the line ahead or behind without having to step outside. This model carries the grey livery applied to freight stock by the LMS from Grouping in 1923 through to 1936, at which point they changed their freight livery to bauxite with small lettering and numbers.

Technical Specification

  • Size/Scale:  OO Scale
  • Released:  Warley Show 2017
  • Number Produced:  504 Certificated Pieces
  • Era:  3
  • DCC Pin Value:  n/a
  • DCC Status:  n/a
  • Paint Finish:  Pristine
  • Length:  83mm, 87mm, 116mm
  • Features:  NEM Coupling Pockets